Monday, September 12, 2011

Me Talk Pretty One Day

For today's book review I bring you Me Talk Pretty One Day by David Sedaris. I know, I know, I'm a little late jumping on the David Sedaris train, please forgive me.


Me Talk Pretty One Day is a collection of short stories about David Sedaris' life. It is divided into two parts. The first part includes several stories about his childhood growing up near the Research Triangle in North Carolina, from when he was older and in college, and post college. The second half of the book is focused on his time in Paris, France living with his boyfriend, Hugh.

I love short stories, and I was really entertained by the stories within this collection. Some of my favorite stories include "Giant Dreams, Midget Abilities", which is about David taking guitar lessons at the bequest of his father, and "Me Talk Pretty One Day" and "Jesus Shaves", which are both about David talking French lessons while in France.

I think the thing I like most about this book is that it is so candid. He's honest about his drug use and his homosexuality. He is willing to share the awkward moments in his life in an honest and funny light. I'm now hooked. Our local Borders is going out of business, and I swiped up every David Sedaris book I could find. I look forward to reading his other collections and I highly recommend this book of short stories, especially if you want to laugh to yourself or out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment